By Ademola Kadiri on Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 in General. No Comments
Do you own a fashion blog or website? Or you want to create one and don’t know where and how to begin. While it is easy to create a blog, making money from it can be the more difficult task. If fashion is something you can write, talk or generally passionate about, then getting paid for what you love doing is an added incentive to getting it done.
The best time to have created a fashion blog was like two years ago but the next best time is now. You don’t need to be a stylist, designer or tailor to get started. You might just love outfits, and voila!, you start earning a lot of money. To be a fashion blogger, you must have a unique perspective on fashion.
This article highlights how you can get into the fashion blogging industry. Let’s get started.
What Should Be On A Fashion Blog
A fashion blog should be a reflection of who you are. To be an authority on the online fashion space, there are some things you should have on your blog. The best fashion blogs in Nigeria such as Bella Naija and Madivas keep attracting a lot of readers due to the amount of information they churn out.
We have highlighted some of the best sections a fashion blog should have:
Weddings: Having a Wedding Section is surely advised. People keep looking out for new trends, new fashion tips and the best accessories combination for that special day. Partner with top brands and even budding entrepreneurs to promote their wedding gowns, shoes, and accessories. Also, write on wedding colour themes and event decoration.
You can give tips on how to accommodate different cultures on the wedding day. You can also decide to sell wedding apparel yourself by integrating payment gateways and e-commerce plugins such as WooCommerce.
Fashion News and Opinion: This section should be what readers and users see first when they access your blog. Push the latest news in the fashion space, what a celebrity is wearing, the best and worst dressed celebrities at shows.
You can also write opinion articles. For instance, during the rainy section, you can create a post titled, “How To Ensure Your Fashion Game Is Still Tight During The Rainy Season “. For so many people, this is a challenge. By writing a post that talks about a common and recurring problem, you become an authority.
Trends: You must be in tune with the latest trends in the fashion world. What are the new colour combinations people are trying? Which accessories are trending? These trends must be featured on your blog. Research a lot and also go for a lot of fashion events and meetups to be abreast of the latest designs and happenings in the industry.
Beauty and Lifestyle: On a fashion blog, you can never go wrong with having a Beauty and Lifestyle section. Write blog posts on topics such as Skincare, makeup, hair care, manicure and pedicure, and anything that relates to beauty. Feature products that focus on different skin types to attract a wide range of visitors. You can also talk about lifestyle with topics such as Relationship Talks, Healthy Living, and even Nutrition. They help drive traffic as well.
What You Need To Start
The first thing you should do is choose the platform on which you want to build your blog. There are a lot of Content Management Systems that you can use, but WordPress is highly recommended. It’s support system and ease of use are excellent It is very user-friendly, meaning you don’t need to be a techie to get the hang of it. To get started with WordPress, there are a few things you need:
- Domain Name: When using wordpress.com, you can get a free domain name that is a subdomain of wordpress.com (e.g. myfashionblog.wordpress.com). If you would prefer your own domain name (e.g. myfashionblog.com), you can purchase a domain name from whogohost.com by clicking this link.
- Web Hosting – This is where all your website files will be stored. When using wordpress.com, you don’t have to bother about this, hosting is taken care of.
- Theme: A WordPress theme provides the frontend of your blog. You can search the WordPress Theme Repository for a theme that suits your taste. There are free themes and premium themes which cost about ($45 – $60). You can also get a custom theme built to fit your brand or your specific design preferences. You can get in touch with us for that.
Choosing a Design
Being a fashionista, your blog shouldn’t be drab. It doesn’t matter if you only do product reviews, or a designer showcasing your products or a blogger that shares fashion news. Your blog should look appealing and needs a design that appeals to the reader. It must also represent your unique sense of style and creativity.
There are thousands of WordPress theme for fashion blogs that you can choose from. A lot of themes have creative designs which are flexible and easily editable. You can add your logo, choose colors and change basic settings. The most important feature of a theme is responsiveness.
A responsive site is a website that looks just as good on mobile devices as it looks on a computer. It’s easy to read on any screen size without the need to zoom, resize, or scroll horizontally.
While a pleasing design will attract people to your website, having good and useful content is what will keep them coming back. Pages such as About Us and Contact Us help make you look professional. Once you have set up those pages, you can start adding posts, images, and pictures.
Research for fashion topics that people search for, and write content around it. Your blog posts should be entertaining, informative, and helpful. Keep up to date with fashion trends and update your blog with new trends and news. You also need to be consistent, as regular updates mean that more people will get to read what you are writing.
Visit popular blogs in the fashion industry to find trending topics you can blog about.
While doing this, you can’t copy and paste content from other sites. This is plagiarism, and is illegal, especially if the source has a copyright on the article. Your site would also get penalized by search engines like Google if your blog contains plagiarized content.
Leveraging social media is important to build your audience and the reputation of your blog. A lot of your intended audience is already on different social media platforms, especially Instagram. You can get access to that vast audience by following trends and making sure you are in the conversation. You should also direct your social media followers to your website by sharing links to your articles.
Getting users to find your website out of the millions of websites out there is a skill that will set you apart from the rest. Here are ways you can improve your website visibility.
- S.E.O: Search Engine Optimization is a long-term and continuous effort that pays large returns. Ensure that your blog posts contain keywords that your intended audience search for. This would make your website rank higher in Google search results.
- Improve your site speed: Page speed is very important for user experience. You wouldn’t want a situation where people have to spend a lot of time before your website pages load. While network and signal strength affect page speed, there are steps you can take to make your website faster. Test the speed of your website or theme that you intend to use for your website here. Also, try to avoid uploading large images on your website cos they reduce your page speed, you can compress your images here.
- User Engagement: Put yourself in the place of the user. What would you do when you first arrive on a website? You must be able to track what your audience is doing, this helps you know what you need to improve on as you will see the pages with the most and least visits and other useful information. You can use Google Analytics for this.
Let’s Make Some Money
Once your fashion blog is established and has a sizable audience, brands may pay you to promote their brands. That should be your goal, as it offers you the opportunity to earn while doing what you love. A lot of successful bloggers their income from paid and sponsored content.
Here are some other ways to monetize your fashion blog.
- Google AdSense: AdSense is an advertising program by Google that lets you display ads on your website and make money. You get paid based on the number of views and clicks that the ads on your site get. In a future post, we would explain more about Google AdSense, but you can find out more by doing research online.
- Become an affiliate marketer: How cool is it to get paid for referring people to buy a particular product? That is how affiliate marketing works. You get paid a commission when you recommend a product. You can be an affiliate marketer for fashion brands and online fashion stores. Once people buy these products via your site, you get paid a commission.
- Sponsored Posts: A sponsored post is a post written on behalf of a brand or company to promote their products or brand. You can write sponsored posts for brands and charge for it. Another form of sponsored posts is featured posts. For a featured post, a brand provides the content but post it on your blog in order to get access to your audience.
Setting up a money-making fashion blog requires a lot of patience and consistency. You might struggle to earn at the initial stage, but doing the aforementioned puts you in the right direction, though you must also research and keep up with emerging trends in the fashion space.
If you liked this article, connect with us across all social media platforms @MactavisDigital, and do check out our portfolio to see examples of the projects we have done in the past.